Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sweet and Sour Pork with Cream Cheese Wontons

I'll be honest, cooking Chinese food did not used to be my forte. I would tell my wonderful husband I was making something Chinese and he would grimace. It wasn't that it was bad... just not right. So I worked hard, experimented a lot, and have developed a few tried and true recipes that keep my Chinese food cravings at bay. This recipe I am especially proud of because hubby just about fell out of his chair when he tasted it and I am pretty sure he will grimace-no-more.



Sweet and Sour Pork

The sauce is based on a recipe I took from my mom a few years ago. It is very basic and easy to make.

3 pork loin chops, cut into 1 inch chunks.
1 1/2 c flour
2 eggs
1 tbs soy sauce
1/8 tsp pepper
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 16 oz can pineapple chunks, reserve juice
1/2 c white vinegar
1/3 c white sugar
1/4 c orange juice, plus 2 tbs
1/3 c pineapple juice (or whatever is in the can)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs ketchup
2 tbs corn starch

In a shallow dish beat eggs, soy sauce, and pepper. Place flour in another shallow dish and add pork, toss to coat. Now put pork into egg mixture, shaking pieces to remove extra flour. Stir gently to coat with egg. Using a slotted spoon remove pork from egg and put back in flour, coat again.

Heat a deep fryer or a pot with oil to 350. Place pork in a single layer into oil to prevent sticking. Cook each batch for about 6 minutes or until pork turns brown and meat is white when a peice is cut open. Drain on paper towels.

In a wok, heat a bit of oil and add peppers and onions. Cook until onions are translucent and peppers begin to soften. Remove to a plate and begin sauce. Add vinegar, 1/4 c orange juice, pineapple juice, salt, and ketchup. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Allow to simmer for a few minutes. Now mix cornstarch with 2 tbs orange juice and add to sauce. Stir in and cook for a minute until thickened. Add pineapple chunks.

Put your pork on a plate, top with veggies and add sauce, saving some for the wontons. This will keep the pork crispy.

Cream Cheese Wontons
Yum.

1 8oz package of cream cheese (you can even use low fat to feel a little better about these... I do)
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp soy sauce
At least 15 wonton wrappers

Mix cream cheese, onions, garlic, and soy sauce.

Lay down a wonton wrapper and place a heaping tsp of the cream cheese mixture into the center of the wonton. Using your finger of a pastry brush, wet the edges of the wonton and fold over the wonton. You can also simply top with another wonton wrapper. Press the edges to seal, making sure there are no gaps or the cheese will seep out during frying.

In the same oil you cooked the pork it, add a few wontons and cook for 3 minutes or until wontons turn brown.

2 comments:

  1. I have a great cookbook called Chopstick, Clever and Wok. I haven't had much success with cooking chinese until I got that book. It definitely silences the hungers for cheap, terrible for me chinese food :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look for that! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete