Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Steel Cut Oats in the Rice Cooker!

Steel cut oats are the new "it" breakfast. Didn't you know? Well, thank goodness you have me then. Anyway, they are crazy good for you and totally tasty, but they can take a little time to make. I for one am not often ready to spend 30 minutes standing over my stove first thing in the morning, which is why I usually revert to regular old fashioned oats that I cook in the microwave. That is until I fell in love with steel cut oats and now I'm not sure Mr. Quaker and I are nearly as good of friends. Yes, I am a traitor. Then in walked my rice cooker and a terrific threesome was created. I can combine the oats and water in the same time it takes to make a bowl of the old fashioned and end up with a heartier, yummier version of my usual breakfast staple.

**This must be made in a 7 cup rice cooker or bigger, otherwise you will have oatmeal water all over your counter


Makes about 3, 1 cup servings

1 1/4 c steel cut oats
3 1/4 c water
milk, raisins, and brown sugar for serving

Combine water and oats in the rice cooker and set to cook. If you have one of those fancy rice cookers with settings (and not the $15 cheapo one from Target like me) consider consulting your manual, but the oats will need to cook around 30 minutes.

Here are the before and after topping pics. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment