Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tofu Pad Thai

I realize this isn't really Pad Thai, since true Pad Thai has peanuts galore. But here's the thing, we rarely eat nuts and never eat peanuts. It's not entirely intentional, and before you go spouting off all the wondrous nutrients in nuts, let me say that I never, ever ate nuts growing up. My mother is deathly allergic, so I never knew they glory of chocolate and peanut butter or candied walnuts. Don't feel bad for me, my backside has never minded. But that aside, now that I am a grown up of sorts I just don't care for the taste or texture of nuts and nut butter just doesn't do it for me.

Now, wasn't that a fun life story? Anyway, this is a yummy Pad Thai recipe without peanuts.

6 oz uncooked rice noodles
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 package of firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch slices and then into four triangles
2 tbs soy sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups bean sprouts (the white ones)
3/4 cup green onions, sliced,
1 carrot, shaved (use a peeler and shave off slices)
3 tbs rice vinegar
2 1/2 tbs fish sauce (I know, but give in and buy it, it makes all the difference in the world)
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp chili sauce (in the Asian food section)
1 cup shelled edamame

Cook noodles according to directions. Set tofu on paper towels to drain. After they tofu pieces have lost some of their water, put them in a bowl with soy sauce and garlic to marinate.

In a nonstick pan, heat about a teaspoon of vegetable oil and add tofu in a single layer, cooking in batches if necessary. Cook until browned on each side and keep warm.

In a wok, heat a tablespoon of oil over high heat in a wok until very hot. Add the garlic and stir-fry until golden, about 10 seconds. Add the egg and cook, stirring, until scrambled. Add noodles to the wok along with bean sprouts, 1/2 cup of the green onions, carrots, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar and chili sauce. Gently toss with tofu. Serve and sprinkle with edamame and remaining green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment