Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Carne Asada Tacos with Homemade Salsa and Guacamole

2 lbs thin cut top round (often marked as Carne Asada), sliced against the grain in about 4 inchpeices
1 onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt (I like Kosher)
Juice of 1 lime
A handful of chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Corn tortillas

Combine all of the above in a gallon size plastic baggie. Allow to marinate over night or for at least 6 hours.

When ready to cook, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and pour contents of baggie into skillet. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until meat is cooked.

Preheat another pan over medium-high and add a tortilla, cooking about a minute on each side. Fill with meat, salsa, and guacamole (recipes below).

Homemade Salsa
I usually stick to pico, but it can be a little tedious to chop everything up, so I found this recipe (actually I found it over and over again on a ton of different blogs and websites) and perfect! I added garlic, because like I have said before, it's just what I do.

1 28 oz can of whole, peeled tomatoes (don't drain, you need the juice!)
2 cans Rotel
1/2 a chopped onion
3 cloves garlic (throw them in whole)
1 Jalapeno, seeded (unless you want a hot salsa, I suggest removing half of the seeds)
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
A handful of fresh cilantro
1/2 of a lime, juiced

Toss all of the above in a food processor or blender (I suggest a blender unless you have a monster food processor). You may need to do this in batches as well.

Makes around 6 cups.

Guacamole

2 avocados, mashed
1/4 cup onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Combine. Eat. Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment