Thursday, September 23, 2010

Simple Mexican-Style Chicken and Rice Soup

This is a perfect soup to use up leftovers. I made this soup because it is really similar to a soup I always ordered (along side a couple crispy tacos) at a Mexican restaurant when my husband and I lived in San Clemente, CA. It is really simple but between the barely cooked onions, the cilantro, and the simple rice and chicken, it packs in tons of flavor.

2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I always use brown)
4 cups chicken broth
1 onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
Avocado

In a large pot, add broth, chicken, and rice. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add onions and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper as needed. Spoon into bowls and serve with a couple table spoons of minced cilantro and sliced avocado.


No comments:

Post a Comment